On November 22, 2018, the network of universities AMENET (Africa, the Mediterranean and Europe), was presented at the Autonomous University of Madrid.
AMENET is a network of fourteen universities from eleven different countries (five Europeans and six Africans), supported and funded by the Education, Audio-visual and Culture Executive Agency of the European Union.
The main objective of AMENET is researching and teaching work in regional integration topics in the mentioned area.
AMENET will study the flows of labor, trade and investment in the area, together with the factors of production (human capital, technology, land, water, energy, infrastructure and entrepreneurship) and diferent production sectors (agriculture and fishing, agro-food, manufacturing and services), without forgetting the security aspects, the institutions and the governance.
AMENET activities, in the next three years, will be focused on the realization of courses, seminars, conferences and research. These activities will mainly take place in the African continent, particularly in West Africa.
Research will involve a considerable number of doctoral students, with the aim of training a new generation of researchers in African universities.
Additionally, the network bears in mind the work of dissemination, so that it will extensively use media and information technologies to present their results.
The presentation was introduced by the Vice-Rector of UAM (Carmela Calés), followed by the interventions of different speakers:
- Dean of the Economics Faculty (Maria Isabel Heredero)
- Director-general for Africa of the Spanish Government (Raimundo Robredo)
- Director for Africa, Acciona (Fernando Míngez)
- Entrepreneur (José Miguel Zaldo)
- UE representative in Spain (Étienne de Perier)
- Senior research associate, Instituto Elcano (Paul Isbell)
- and the representative of Spain in the African Development Bank (Alberto Sabido)
The event was ran by the AMENET General Coordinator, José María Mella, Professor of Applied Economics at UAM.
The presentation was widely disseminated in the media and the university community:
- EL PAÍS.com
- EL ECONOMISTA.es
- LA VANGUARDIA.com
- FARO DE VIGO.es
- UAM website
- CAMPUS EXCELENCIA UAM website
- AFROEU website
- SER MADRID NORTE (radio interview to José M. Mella)
- EUROPA ABIERTA EN RADIO 5. “La UE enseña y aprende de África. Amenet, nueva red (radio interview to Carmela Calés).
- ONDA CERO – MADRID NORTE (radio interview to José M. Mella)
- FULL PRESS RELEASE