On February 22nd and 23rd, 2021, the Third International Conference of AMENET Network entitled “Enhancing sustainable development and regional integration through effective and efficient resource exploitation and mobilisation in Africa, Mediterranean and European Union post Covid -19”, was held online due the current COVID -19 pandemic. This conference was organised in collaboration with the Univiersity of Ghana.
Carmela Calés Bourdet, Vice-rector for Internationalisation of the Autonomous University of Madrid, chaired the opening ceremony. The opening was also attended by Alicia Rico Pérez del Pulgar, Ambassador of Spain in Ghana; Diana Acconcia, Ambassador of UE in Ghana, Daniel Kwabena Twerfou, AMENET-University of Ghana Coordinator and José María Mella, Lead Partner of the AMENET Jean Monnet Network, Autonomous University of Madrid (Spain).
For two days, more than 150 participants from different African and European universities, presented their researches and shared their ideas and results with other colleagues working in similar lines of investigation. The discussions took place in different parallel sessions defined by following topics:
1. Impact of COVID-19 on the environment.
2. Efficient natural resource exploitation in an era of COVID-19.
3. Climate change adaptation and city resilience.
4. Energy consumption, the environment and sustainable development; before and after COVID – 19.
5. International trade and the environment post-COVID-19.
6. Educational reforms in the context of COVID-19: challenges and prospects.
7. ICT deployment for transformational growth post-COVID-19.
8. Vulnerabilities: Socio-cultural, health, poverty and inequality issues.
9. Small, medium and large-scale firm resilience and employee dynamism in the COVID-19 era and beyond.
10. Tourism, transport and the hospitality industry in an era of COVID–19.
11. Regional integrations grant and support packages for developing countries.
12. Investment and industrial diversification in different sectors of activity.
13. Monetary and fiscal policies.
14. Internal and external migration.
The next AMENET International Conference will be held online in collaboration with Université Cheikh Anta DIOP de Dakar (UCAD), SENEGAL, by the end of 2021.
February 22, 2021 - MORNING SESSION
- “Impact of extreme weather conditions on healthcare provision in urban Ghana”, SAMUEL N. A. CODJOE, University of Ghana.
- “Post COVID-19 and Public Service Delivery in Africa: Issues and Opportunities”, JOSEPH ATSU AYEE, University of Ghana.
February 23, 2021 - MORNING SESSION
- “The Geography of African Multinational Enterprises. A Strategic Perspective”, JUAN JOSÉ DURÁN, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.
- “Building Back Better: the Covid-19 pandemic as a re-set button for natural resource management in Africa”, CHRIS GORDON, University of Ghana
- “Local Development. Lessons from the international experiences for Africa”, ANTONIO VÁZQUEZ-BARQUERO, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.